Take a "Core Sample" of a cupcake!
A few fancy cupcakes with frosting, marbleing, candy,
sprinkles (anything to make it interesting inside).
A clear, sturdy straw.
- Stick your straw all the way through the cupcake vertically. You are
taking a "core sample" of the cupcake.
- Pull out the straw and see what's inside!
What does this mean?
- Geologists want to know what the inside of the Earth looks like. The
drill long tubes down into the earth and pull them out to look at what's
inside. You did the same thing with the straw.
- Look at what's inside the cupcake. Do some analysis. Now that you
know there's at least one sprinkle in the cupcake, could there be
- Geologists do a similar analysis of their core samples to figure out
what's underneath our feet.
- Don't forget to EAT the cupcake!
Still have questions? Email